Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Working Full Time

I started working full-time July 5, the day after we got back from Australia.  It was a bit of different first day at work, having to try on 2 ocean swimming wetsuits (entry level and high end) to get a sense of how to fit people in them and how to explain the differences.  If that wasn't enough to work up a sweat, next, two of my co-workers (who are competitive swimmers to begin with) got me into a racing suit...2 sizes too small as it should be.  It was definitely a quick way to get up close and personal with them shoving bits and pieces of me into the tiny kneeskin.  I have also needed to get used to calling swim suits of all kinds "togs" on a regular basis.  I might actually be used to it now, as strange as that seems.

Three weeks down and I get my first full weekend off this weekend :) though I haven't had to work a full one yet either...that will be 2 weekends from this one.  Working with all the swimming and triathlon gear and talking to all the people who come into the store may just inspire me to get back into some swimming for some of the open water competitions.  We'll see...

My QuickFit (crossfit) sessions have been going well, 3 times a week 7:30-8.  I'm enjoying it and I definitely like the QUICK factor about it.  The WODs may be nice short, but they are by no means easy.

We've been alternating pub quiz Wednesday nights at Slipp Inn (tends to be MANY more teams and more challenging) and Tuesday nights in Albany (which is growing a little but far less teams and slightly less challenging).  The first week we did the Albany one we came second and won $40 to spend on food and drinks the next time.  The second time, we came first and won $60.  The last time we came 3rd and won $20, so we have to keep going back!

Saturday, July 14, we went to soup night at Corelli's! A nice salad started, bowl of soup and dessert, all very delicious of course! And best of all, you got to keep your soup bowl, hand made by an artist who was roaming around and raffled off a large ceramic punch bowl as well!

Jacques and I went to Libby's 7th birthday party a couple Sundays ago.  It was a yucky rainy day, but fortunately the girls were happy bracelet-making and practicing their netball shots in the house.  It was so cute watching the group dance to a game on the Wii, they were all focusing so hard.  It was good to catch up with all the Clinton kids and spend some time with John and Julia as well.  Post-party, we headed to the Glenfield night markets for the first time for dinner.  Lots of varieties of food from lots of different cultures.  A nice way to eat dinner for relatively cheap and extremely delicious!  We went back last Sunday as well!

Last Saturday, I was on by myself at work for the first time on the weekend and I think we had about as many people come into the store that as had been collectively the whole weeks I'd been working!  It was soooo busy, I didn't have time to eat or anything during our opening hours 10-5.  I had LOTS of great sales thought, so it was all worth it.  Even though I was basically ready for bed when I got home, we went to go see The Dark Knight Rises at 9pm and of course didn't get home until after midnight because it's such a long movie!  Definitely worth it, though!

Sunday, we test drove a car and yesterday, purchased it! It's a 2007 Suzuki Swift, dark blue.  I'll post a photo when I can take one in the light.  It's manual, so I'll have to readjust to driving it, but it drives very smoothly and easily.  I am definitely a fan so far.  I am hoping to call it Ollie, just have to convince Jacques that's a good name! :) The purchase came JUST in time as well.  This morning, I picked up Astrid from the airport at 6am and returned her car we'd be able to use for the past 7 weeks!  Is good to have her back and she brought us some delicious Belgian chocolates too!

We are looking forward to watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics this weekend.  We'll have a breakfast/brunch along with the ceremonies Saturday morning 6:30-10:30am.  Later in the day we'll head to a CrossFit expo at the ASB show grounds where 2 members of CrossFit Auckland will be competing.  It will be good to go along and support them.

I think I am mostly up to date now...busy busy with work!  Nice to finally have a steady paycheck, though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment